Friday, November 5, 2010

To Sir, with PLEASE

As a part of the service industry, being with the "support" team comes as an integral part. Most of us here are either aware of this team or are a part of this team. Now why am I talking about this team at all. 

Point 1: I was in a support team myself. A short stint in a project, where i was an L3 support (now L3 was just to boost my ego per name).I used to get tickets about the issues the users faced and had to resolve those technical faults and call them back to check if it was working fine. The Biblical verse used in any support team is "If you cant solve the problem dump in on the head of another team". Literally that's what used to happen. The call would just pass hands, like passing the parcel game and fatefully might just come back to you. Grrr.... 

Point 2: Another thing about being here would be the talking part. You would be catering the end customer. So, your are expected to behave in the nicest possible way. You know like "Please restart your system" kind. And that weird accent. My team mates, ALL of them spoke in a way that would confuse any man who knew ABC.So, forget the native English speakers. I always thought they sounded constipated and no matter how hard they tried it wouldn't "come out" well. If you know what i mean (wicked smile). Infact, now that I'm out of the support team, I have to make calls to those poor souls with my problems, and I want to tell you all about a short convo I had with a woman named Gee-tta (Indian version should sound something like Geetha) 

K: Hi, Good Morning! I'm K calling from Bangalore. 

G: Hey K! Good Maarning! (Imagine morning with an obnoxious twang) 

K:  My account has been locked out, could this pls be unlocked 

G:  Could you pls hold on K, let me check you ACYYOUNT. (Yes, it just sounded the way i wrote. and in case you r doubtful about what word it should have been, its account) 

K: Uhhh-Huuhhh.... 

G: Hey K, I've successfully unlocked. Could you pls try? (What was the failure quotient in unlocking an account???!!!) 

K: Cool! Thanks, it works fine. 

G: Cheers, bubye! (Cheers over what? A Long Island???) 

I somehow do not understand why we end up sounding like servants. Out to please.  Oh, and that reminds me of another conversation that I dont think I can forget. This was between an English man and K. 

K: Hi I'm K calling from ABC Team, I noticed that you had a problem with your XYZ Application. 

Man: Your are WHO calling from ABC Team. (K wonders how does this matter) 

K: I'm K calling from ABC Team. 

Man: Sorry, come again. Or better, Pls spell it. (K is clearly getting bugged) 

K: Right. Its K. You know the letter K. 

Man: Ah. I know a certain man named Vishnu from India. (K wonders again, how does this matter) 

K: Oh! Cool. So, your application XYZ. Does it... 

Man: Oh, i never really had much of a trouble after logging the ticket. Thanks ... err, can you repeat your name again??... 

K: Its K. Bye. ( *Beep Beep Beep* ) 


 So, that's how it works. For all that so called money the employees are paid, I think we deserve bonus just to go through this humiliation. At certain times I really wish life didn't work this simple. You know, like now, you could yell at the customer care person for some silly reason. I mean before 10/15 years when this was not really there, this same man would have waited forever for this problem to have sorted out. Irony, BSNL still follows the old system and I think, that's good. Just to hurt the customers ego. 

No comments: